Tuesday 22 April 2014

Choosing to be offended as a political weapon?

In Australia, the Racial Discrimination Act states:

18C  Offensive behaviour because of race, colour or national or ethnic origin
             (1)  It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:
                     (a)  the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and
                     (b)  the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or of some or all of the people in the group.

In other words, if you say something nasty about white people, theoretically at least, they can do you, Jimmy.

As far as I know it's only ever been applied to people who offended non-whites, but I could be wrong.

Now an attempt to fix it, a ham-fisted one by some people's reckoning, attempts to change it from offend to vilify. Frankly, even by that increased standards, you would have to arrest the great majority of SJWs, who happily pour loathing daily on anyone deemed not a "POC", as they put it.

I'm currently trying to argue against this law with Senator Penny Wright on her Facebook page, but I'm somewhat handicapped as if I took the typical SJWcomments I get and colour-flip them to point out the inequitable applications of it; e.g. taking the SJW "Die white skum!!1!" to "Die dark-skinned scum!"; by an application of the existing law, I could be arrested by almost anyone with a grudge.

I cannot discuss the problem with this law except in very circumspect ways. My free speech is limited.

They defend the existing law as somehow stopping the rise of any new Hitlers. Well, Hitler rose for many reasons, and one of the big ones was that his thugs beat up anyone who dared speak against him. In my case, the thugs are in uniform and have badges, but the principle is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment