Saturday 25 June 2016

"I am Emma and this is my video"


" I am a feminist."

We guessed.

"What has amused me the most about this whole situation is that this of you writing these hate comments telling me I was 'pressured' or 'bullied' into feminism are quite honestly doing worse than what you perceive my friend to have done to me."

We are used to feminists telling us we deserve genocide. Are you surprised the reaction to a declaration of feminism is a rough one? If your friend becomes a Neo-Nazi, will you be cool with that?

"You expect me to think your side is the better side to be on after all you've done is insult me?"

Don't care about what side you're on, do care about whether you examine your facts.

Hint: Feminism doesn't deal in facts, it makes stuff up and if it sounds good, it believes them. Try using facts and reason. If you find Feminism is lying about things like a wage gap, why should you trust the rest of it's claims?

" There was no fear of losing her, there was no constant pressure to do what is 'right'."

Yah, and I know religious folk who are just the same with their families until the moment comes that they reveal they are an atheist.


"What I'm honestly surprised about regarding everything that's happened in response to this video, is how much free time some people have. "

You are easily surprised, and I suspect, overly impressed. Some people can type a paragraph very quickly. You really think that proves their lives are extraordinary?


"Someone had enough time and energy to spend it on making a ten minute hate video"

Which probably generated days worth of mirth, if it's well done - take only one example




156,004 views, assume average of half fully completed = 78,002
So that's 780,000 minutes.
13,000 hours
217 days of continuous viewing.

Not bad for "ten minutes of hate". And you don't seem to have refuted any of his points. Instead, you just seem to be in denial that they exist in the first place.


"
The thing is, the people arguing against this video aren't arguing about anything."

Clearly, they are, or you wouldn't be engaging with them.

"This video is not an argument for Feminism."

Which movement holds: "the personal is political"?


Full comment by her below:

(Youtube has taken to stripping out spaces and newlines in order to make comments harder to read, alas)


"I am Emma and this is my video. I am a feminist. Yes I still define myself as a feminist even after this barrage of insults and hate directed towards me(obviously there were some reasoned arguments and for those i did read them and take them into account). What has amused me the most about this whole situation is that this of you writing these hate comments telling me I was 'pressured' or 'bullied' into feminism are quite honestly doing worse than what you perceive my friend to have done to me. You expect me to think your side is the better side to be on after all you've done is insult me? For those comments telling me that I need 'new friends' and that the friend mentioned is 'terrible' I will say this. Firstly, you are judging years worth of friendship from one sentence- I lived it all I think I can judge for myself, although thank you for looking out for my wellbeing. Secondly, there was no peer pressure involved, no bullying, no threats. After the initial argument(a year ago) which made us realise we had differing opinions and the comment made(in the heat of the moment which I entirely forgave her for) we have not had a single conversation about feminism. We still remained friends for this year even though, up until this video, she was unaware I had changed my mind. There was no fear of losing her, there was no constant pressure to do what is 'right'. What I'm honestly surprised about regarding everything that's happened in response to this video, is how much free time some people have. Someone had enough time and energy to spend it on making a ten minute hate video (and that's what it was let's be real) about me, and others have spent the last few days finding me on every aspect of social media and all my friends and being rude and hurtful. The thing is, the people arguing against this video aren't arguing about anything. This video is not an argument for Feminism. It is not about why you should become a feminist. This is purely my journey into feminism. It is personal. I have kept comments and likes on because I believe you all deserve to have your opinion. Please give me the same respect. Emma.?
"

No comments:

Post a Comment